Tuesday, April 21, 2009

World's Best Teacher--MFT Idol Contest, Week 6

OK, I knew this week would be hard--we're down to six contestants in the MFT Idol Contest and we had last week off. But THIS! A one layer card!! How could they, LOL?!! If you've seen many of my cards you know I LOVE LAYERS AND DIMENSION!!! I can't remember EVER doing a one layer card! But, I must admit, this one was fun!!! It really didn't take me long to get my idea--which is usually the hardest part for me! I knew I wanted to create a scene and that it may include some masking. This one actually doesn't have much masking, but it looks like it does, don't you think? So, I rummaged through my Who's That Girl drawer and found one I hadn't inked up. Since my DH is a retired teacher, it was meant to be!

This truly is a one layer card. It looks like it has a black mat, but I created that look by cutting and embossing my card stock (Gina K. Pure Luxury 80 lb) with a Curved Rectangle Nestabilities die and using a black Copic marker, I colored the embossed edge by hand. Still a one layer card, but that gave it the appearance of a little dimension. Then I started creating the scene by marking my top margin and the baseboard lightly in pencil for positioning purposes. Next I stamped "The Girl" and masked her arm. Then I stamped the blackboard and stamped the sentiment on top with Whisper White Craft ink and heat embossed with white embossing powder (looks like chalk, doesn't it?). Next, I drew in the table by hand, using a Zig .01 black pen. The tabletop images were stamped next and then I drew in the flooring by hand. Everything was then colored with Copic markers (see below). After the coloring, the only thing left to do was to tie a ribbon (wonderful ribbon from MFT!) around the top to "frame" the scene, add a crayon charm tied on with gold cording, and glue part of a straight pin on as That Girl's pointer. Yeah, looks simple, and even though it *was* fun, it took a *lot* of time to plan and make. But I love it--I hope you do too and will vote for me. Voting starts tonight (Tuesday, April 21) at 10pm and runs through tomorrow night Wednesday, April 22) at 10pm. You can find the poll here at the MFT forum on SCS.

Thanks for dropping by today and wish me luck!

~Recipe~
Stamps: Back To School (MFT)
Paper: Pure Luxury 80 lb (Gina K.)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Whisper White Craft (SU!)
Accessories: Cuttlebug/Nestabilities die; ribbon, clear embossing powder (craft store); charm, straight pin (personal stash); Copic markers; Zig .01 black pen; heat gun; ruler

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful one-layer card, Barbara! I love your classroom scene! What a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so fun and a fabulous one layer card. YOu would never know it, great dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! What great details! I have already voted! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!